Thursday, July 19, 2007

Why are we so different ???

I got to thinking today about compromise and why Jen and I oftentimes want completely different things at the same moment. There are alot of nights where my motivation centers around cranking out homework for 2-3 hours and Jen wants to bake brownies or sit and play a boardgame. Or, even better example, when the weekend comes, i'm the one who's focus is on getting the responsibilities done, like the laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning the apartment, and whatever other errands need to be done over that 48 hour period, while Jen would be perfectly content to take a 4 hour nap and hang out all day. I'm not being critical at all, trust me, I just find it worth examining as to why two people who are supposedly one flesh in the eyes of the Lord can have two totally different drives and things that they want to do.

Thinking back to our pre-marriage counseling, i remember something that the husband and wife who mentored us told us in relationship to compatability between Jen and I. They told us, and i'm paraphrasing here, "That compromise is everything, and afterwhile you'll find yourselves wanting to think more and more about the other person's needs at the moment that they need them." Now, after a year of marriage, it's pretty obvious to me that oftentimes my needs and Jen's needs DRASTICALLY differ sometimes. Now, i'm not using that as an excuse to not try and serve Jen and be there for her, and i definately know that Jen has gone out of her way to be supportive of what i want plenty of times, it's just that it seems that a year of marriage has caused the two of us to have those certain way of doing things, that ends up being much different from what the other person wants.

I know that marriage isn't supposed to be easy, i understand completely that when you are meshing two different types of people into one place, it can create all kinds of influences, both positive and negative. Are Jen and I meant to be like many other couples around the world who do compromise in alot of ways and who genuinely try to take care of their partner, but still end up having totally different ways of doing things ?? I know that I have learned that sometimes one can learn from the other partner's way of doing things, but is it perfectly normal and ok for their to be a difference sometimes in what the other person wants ?

No comments: