Saturday, November 10, 2007

Please pray for my Grandpa John

Several weeks ago Jen and I received some difficult news about my Grandpa John. He had been having some serious physical symptoms for months that had led to a pretty severe weight loss, and ended with a couple weeks ago having to be rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery to have his gallbladder removed. After the surgery he was placed in the ICU, and we were praying for a swift recovery. However, that has proven not to happen.

My parents are in Lynchburg this weekend visiting Jen and I. Last night at dinner, my mom shared some more news that she got just a day or two ago about my Grandpa John's situation. Apparently, John is still in the ICU. He's scheduled to get out next week, however, there has been a very serious development. John apparently has full blown dementia and he is unable to speak or understand basically anything. There is very little movement on his part on a daily basis, and he is not functioning physically as a normal adult.

The hard part for my family with this is my Memere(Grandma) is looking to put John into a nursing home, which will severly drain his financial resources. In addition, Memere can't drive anymore, and she has depended on John for years to drive her around, so, she is now having to use public transportation to get to the hospital and she has no life aside from being there all day.

There is much much more to the situation, too much to share in one email, I just wanted to give you guys an update and ask you to pray specifically for several things:

1. Pray for a miracle that God will lift John's dementia

2. If it's not God's will for the dementia to go, pray that a good nursing home can be found for John

3. Pray for Memere with her physical needs, one of my aunts is trying to talk to her about going into an assisted living community where it will be alot easier on her to do the things that she likes to do, however, there are some barriers that are in the way of that right now, so, please pray that something gets worked out.

4. Pray for wisdom for Memere and my Aunt Annette as they are making medical care decisions related to John

5. Pray for the peace of God that surpasses all understanding for everybody involved, this is just extremely hard on Memere and many others in my family in a variety of ways, pray that we will receive God's grace and comfort each and everyday.

My family and I truly appreciate your prayers guys with this, I will add updates as we hear more. We are trusting in the Lord and His Hand, and if it's time for John to go, we understand and accept that it's his time.

No comments: